“My involvement in the Women’s Leadership Initiative has been an enriching experience both personally and professionally. An excellent opportunity to work closely with an energetic group of professionals to elevate the conversation around diversity, expand industry networks and provide a platform to learn from the insights of inspiring leaders in our industry.”
– Esther Dickins, Director, Scott Carver & Former WLI Australia Co-Chair
The Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI) was established in 2011 as a global programme of the Urban Land Institute. Today it has an active global Steering Committee in addition to 40 chapters in numerous countries around the world. The global WLI leaders support local programming and initiatives, helping to increase both the number and visibility of more women leaders throughout ULI’s vast network.
There are currently 7 National Councils around Asia Pacific with active WLI groups, they are: Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, Japan, China and South Korea.
Join Australia’s womxn land use and real estate leaders for networking and education opportunities all year long. WLI was conceived to increase the visibility and professional development opportunities for women in ULI and throughout the land use and real estate development industry. WLI Australia hosts a myriad of events each year, with notable speakers and networking opportunities.
The mission of the WLI is expressed in its four primary objectives:
- Promote the advancement of womxn, throughout their careers, as leaders in the real estate industry.
- Increase the number of womxn who serve in leadership positions in the real estate industry and in ULI.
- Increase the visibility of womxn leaders in the real estate industry and in ULI.
- Increase the number of womxn who are active ULI members, and support the development of young womxn members as leaders in ULI and in their professions.
Are you interested in making connections with successful, strong professional womxn in the land use and real estate industry? Already a ULI member and finding yourself in need of a mentor or advocate to help navigate through this typically male-dominated field? Then you’re in the right place! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
WLI Speaker Database
The Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI) has launched the 2020 WLI Speaker Database. If you are looking for a female speaker at an upcoming event, please email us at email@example.com.
The database was created as part of a WLI initiative to achieve gender balance amongst speakers at industry events and raise the visibility of women in our industry. We proactively communicate with a range of conference organisers to promote our speakers, and aim to lead by example with ULI events.
If you would like to be added to the database we invite you to complete the short survey at this link:
The Panel Pledge
The WLI is dedicated to promoting the advancement and visibility of womxn leaders in the real estate industry and to supporting the development of young women members as leaders both in ULI and in their professions.
We invite you to commit to the Panel Pledge.
This means that when you are asked to be involved in or to sponsor a panel or conference, you inquire about organiser efforts to ensure that womxn are represented and ideally you only speak on panels that include womxn.
Initiated by The Women’s Leadership Institute of Australia and the Male Champions of Change, this has been an effective way to increase awareness of this issue and the percentage of women speakers at events in Australia.
Gender Balance at Every Forum
How can you commit to the Panel Pledge?
When you are invited to speak at or participate in a professional forum:
- Request confirmation of who the other panelists / speakers / participants are, and how gender balance will be achieved;
- Insist that as a condition of acceptance, you expect women to participate in a meaningful way;
- Reserve the right to withdraw from the event should this not be the case when the speaker list is finalised;
- Offer names of womxn from within your organisation or network and, if helpful, point them to resources for support in finding womxn (the WLI has a list of available senior women speakers and can assist with linking speakers to topics)
- Tell your team so they can support you in delivering your commitment. Extend the pledge to your own organisation by ensuring all forums you run or sponsor take gender balance into account.